Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Never Alone


When we feel that no one cares for us or understands us, we suffer. Yet, it is easy to feel forgotten, forsaken, or forlorn in a world that promotes busyness at the expense of relationships. Mother Teresa said that loneliness and the feeling of being unwanted is the most terrible poverty.

God wants us to remember that we are never alone. He says,

• Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.

• And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

• I, the Lord Your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, "Fear not. I will help you."

So how do we feel God’s presence when we feel alone? How do we recognize that He is with us?
A powerful way to experience God’s power in our lives is to follow Him, to walk with Him, to yoke or bind ourselves to Him.

Farmers yoke animals together so that their burdens are lightened and their work is easier. Christ challenges us to yoke ourselves to Him, to bind our hearts and thoughts to Him and to lean on Him. Imagine yourself literally bound to Christ as you meet with the oncology doctor, when you talk to an abusive boss, or when you grieve the loss of a child or spouse. Imagine Him standing beside you when you deal with your impertinent teen, when you hear that your best friend is terminally ill, or when you face a painful surgery.

Consider His words: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Picture yourself walking beside Christ, yoked to Him by the power of His love. Imagine that He is carrying your sorrows, your pain, your grief, your loneliness. See Him making your burden light because He is lifting your burden from you and, then, through the power of His grace, carrying you every moment of your life.

When we yoke ourselves to Christ, we try to live as He would live. We choose friends, entertainment, and thoughts that bring us to Christ. We seek to love as He loved, speak as He spoke, and serve as He served. We chose to love Him with all of our hearts, knowing that He always loves us with all of His heart.

As we yoke ourselves to Christ, we realize that because of His power, we can do all things that He wants us to do because He strengthens us. We can find rest and comfort for our souls. We can become whole.


© Carol Brown

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post - I NEEDED it today!

    Plus I LOOOOOVE that picture and I want to buy it! I have never seen that one before : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I learn so much from the things you write.