Sunday, March 22, 2009

Confronting our Fears


Sometime life can be scary. We get really sick. We are laid off. Our child is terribly hurt. A trusted friend betrays us. We lose a spouse, a parent, a loved one. We feel overwhelmed by temptations, trials, or tribulations.

Although I haven't lost my husband, I have experienced every other trial mentioned above. These adversities have brought me to my knees and taught me how fragile life is and how weak I can be. They have also taught how powerful God is when I trust in Him.

Sometimes it helps to understand what is destroying our peace.

Is it fear of death? To the righteous, “death is swallowed up in victory … victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”

Is it fear of man? Paul says, "If God is for us, who can be against us?"

Is it fear of the past? Isaiah writes, "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are as scarlet, They will be as white as snow."

Is it fear of the future? Paul discovered that Christ can help us through any adversity. "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me," he testifies.

Is it fear of failure? Jesus taught, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you ."

Is it fear of God? Jehovah says, "Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth: and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted His people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted. Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands."

Consider the words of the hymn, "When Faith Endure": I will not doubt, I will not fear; God's love and strength are always near. His promised gift helps me to find an inner strength and peace of mind. I give the Father willingly my trust, my prayers, humility. His Spirit guides; his love assures that fear departs when faith endures.

God says, "Fear not, I am with thee?" "Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not." He stands at the door and knocks, wanting to comfort us and bless us, wanting to give us peace. All He asks is that we turn our troubles over to Him and trust in Him.

© Carol Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I learn so much from the things you write.