Wednesday, March 25, 2009

You Are a Child of God

A few months ago I taught a group of children at Church that they are children of God. I reminded them that in Psalm 82 we read, “I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.” I testified that each person on earth is a divine son or daughter of God.


One young girl asked, “Does that mean people in other countries are children of God, too?” Yes, I replied, glad that she felt safe enough to ask to question. I showed her a picture of Jesus embracing children from various cultures. She appeared surprised and, with childlike faith, smiled in approval.


I testified that “the Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.”


I told the children that in my greatest adversity, I was enfolded in the arms of God’s love and knew that he loved me. I explained that through my greatest trial, I had come to feel God’s perfect love for me. And then I asked, “Do you know that you are a child of God?”


All the children smiled and nodded. They sat a little taller in their seats and beamed joyfully. All but one little boy, a visitor. Sad and forlorn, he looked down at his feet after I asked the question and shook his head.


I wanted to rush over to him, to hold him in my arms and comfort him. I longed to tell him how precious he is, that he is a person of infinite worth. I wanted to tell him that God knows Him personally and by name. I wanted the boy to understand that his Father knows every time he is happy and sad, that God numbers every hair on his head. I tried to explain some of those truths to the children, but time was short and the class ended. The boy shuffled out of the room amid the throng of children and disappeared.


I hope that some day he discovers who He truly is, a beloved child of the Most High, beautifully and wonderfully made. That belief will transform his life. He will stand tall and smile, knowing that he is a person of infinite worth.

May you feel surrounded in the arms of God's love today. May you recognize that you were bought with an unspeakable price, and may the love of God sustain you and comfort you throughout the coming days.
© Carol Brown

1 comment:

  1. thx for that awsome story may GOd always be with you bless everyone have every moment with time with God

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I learn so much from the things you write.