Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Peace of Gratitude

Life’s challenges become much easier to bear when we live in a spirit of gratitude. This week I have replaced fearful thoughts with grateful ones. It has made such a difference!

Instead of thinking, “My car isn’t working. How awful!” I’ve thought, “Thank goodness for mechanics who can fix my car. I am so grateful for them!”

Instead of thinking, “My husband’s incision is infected. What a nightmare.” We’ve thought, “How grateful we are for a skilled physician and antibiotics that can help us. What a blessing!”

Instead of thinking, “It’s been such a terrible day. I’ve suffered unbearably with a kidney stone,” I thought, “I am so thankful for a caring emergency room staff that eventually eased my pain. I’m glad that my husband was home to drive me to the hospital. I’m grateful that I have caring family members who visited me and showed loving kindness.”

We truly have the power to find peace amid suffering. When we choose to have an attitude of gratitude, we can live with happiness and serenity even when life presents us with unexpected challenges. Melody Beattie writes, "Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace
for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I learn so much from the things you write.