Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Be of Good Comfort

For a couple of years, I have suffered with my knee, which is grinding bone on bone. It has made walking, climbing stairs, and kneeling difficult. It has slowed me down a lot.

My husband, ever the optimist, believed that I would walk again without pain, but I was losing hope and was resigning myself to accept a more sedentary life. I decided to seek peace amid a situation that brought me great sorrow.

Then my back started hurting. A lot. I decided to go to a chiropractor for an adjustment, and surprise! Not only did my back stop hurting, but my knee did as well. I could walk without limping, and the next day I whizzed around the mall for a couple of miles without any pain. I am still in shock! I can WALK!

Now, I don't know how long this tender mercy will continue, but I am really enjoying the ride (or walk) while it lasts. It feels so good to run errands, do housework, and go on a walk pain-free. I feel twenty years younger.

Sometimes I wonder if we limp along on wounded spiritual knees when the Lord waits to heal us. We hang onto grievances and refuse to forgive. We hang on to our sins and refuse to repent. We hang onto our fears and refuse to have faith.

Years ago a woman had suffered terribly for twelve years. Every doctor she visited was unable to help her, so she turned to the the only One who could. She decided to approach the Master and touched His garment, believing He could heal her. And He did. Immediately.

When He realized what she had done, He turned to her and said, "Daughter, be of good comfort. Thy faith hath made thee whole."

Today we cannot touch Jesus' garment, but we can touch His heart. We may not experience immediate physical healing, but He will heal our broken hearts. He will give us peace amid sorrow as we trust in Him, and He will make us whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I learn so much from the things you write.