Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Joy of Service

Today I was talking to my 7-year old granddaughter. She said, "Grandma, why do you like to help others so much? I think it looks really hard to do?"

"Because helping others makes me happy," I replied," and because Jesus wants us to love others."

"Oh," she said. "I still think it looks hard. But maybe when I get older it'll be easier to do."

We are naturally selfish and self-centered. It is easy to do our own thing and ignore the rest of the world. Of course, we need to take good care of ourselves and try to love ourselves as the Lord loves us, but we find joy and peace when we look beyond ourselves and do some small act of service for another.

Perhaps you could call a friend, email an acquaintance, or send an appreciative message on Facebook. You might smile at a stranger, let someone merge in front of you in traffic, or commplement a clerk. You could say a kind word to a famiy member, a teacher, or a work associate. As we love others, and the love that we share returns to us multiplied and sanctified. It is the secret path to happiness and peace.
© Carol Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I learn so much from the things you write.