Saturday, May 16, 2009

What Really Matters

In 100 years, it won't matter how much money you made, how big your house was, how prestigious your job was, or how famous you were. It won't matter if you if you were stylish, wealthy, or popular.

In 100 years, it will matter if you made a difference in the life of a child, if you helped those in need, and if you learned to love and forgive. It will matter if you learned to be kind and caring, if you lived with integrity and virtue, and if you if you loved God and others more than you loved worldly things.

I've attended a lot of funerals, and I've noticed that the only things that really matter after a person dies is the example they set, the people they loved, and they values they cherished. I've looked in a lot of coffins and haven't seen a person take a single possession with them. Not one.

Our culture lies to us. It teaches us that in order to be happy we need to wear the latest styles, redecorate our homes, and have power and wealth. It tells us that pride, deceit, immorality, and greed foster personal peace when, in fact, they destroy our peace.

I've loved and lost a lot of my friends and family, and I know how precious memories are of loving moments shared, kind words remembered, and lessons taught. Thank you, Dad, for showing me that you can find peace amid sorrow and for always keeping your promises. Thanks, Mom, for loving me unconditionally and for teaching me that true joy is found in serving others. You both taught me that even though life can be very difficult, we can still find happiness during the hard times as we place our trust in God.
© Carol Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I learn so much from the things you write.