Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Secret to Peace of Mind


We search for peace of mind in so many places. Some seek it through shopping, eating, or numbing themselves with drugs or alcohol. Others hope that continual travel, work, or parties will comfort them.

Paul says that Jesus himself is our peace. What blessed assurance we have in knowing that there is One who can mend our broken hearts, comfort our troubled souls, and ease our sorrowing spirits! God alone has the power to give us peace of mind in a world filled with tribulation and suffering.

So how do we find peace in Jesus? We first learn of Him by reading His words and seeking to live as He lived. We trust that He keeps His promises. He said, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

Life provides us with opportunities to trust in God: When we lose a job or experience a financial reversal. When a loved one dies. When we feel too sick, tired, or weak to carry on. When a friend or family member betrays us. When we feel no one understands our pain.

Minnie Haskins wrote, "And I said to the one who stood at the gate of the year, 'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.' And he replied, 'Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.'"

I've experienced enough adversity to know that God does understand our pain. As we seek for His help, He will comfort us. As we trust in Him, He will guide our steps and lead us safely home. With Paul, I proclaim, "Thanks be to God for his unspeakable gift."

© Carol Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I learn so much from the things you write.